Thursday, April 10, 2008

You're it

I was tagged yesterday by the fabulous and uber-gay Rouge to take part in a chain letter-style thingy where bloggers post random quotes from whatever book they pick up. Looking back, that sentence doesn't really seem to make sense, so here are the rules:

1. Pick up the nearest book of 123 (or more) pages.
2. Open the book to page 123 and find the 5th sentence.
3. Post the next 3 sentences.

Ok. So I grabbed Upton Sinclair's The Jungle, that famous old bummer of a book about the Chicago meatpacking industry, a book I've been meaning to read for years, and finally picked up at Red Emma's (which is a pretty good cure for Bluestockings withdrawals) a few weeks ago. Turning to pg 123...

So it was finally decided that two more of the children would have to leave school. Next to Stanislovas, who was now fifteen, there was a girl, little Kotrina, who was two years younger, and then two boys, Vilimas, who was eleven, and Nikalojus, who was ten. Both of these last were bright boys, and there was no reason why their family should starve when tens of thousands of children no older were earning their own livings.

I'm kind of a picky bitch when it comes to writing, and new to the personal bloggy thing, so I don't have any blogs to tag. (sniff) But Rouge says it's not really that kind of thing--I'm not going to you know, have bad luck for the next 5 years or whatever. So I'll leave you with those 3 depressing quotes and let this little strand die out and head out to Liberty Taxes to (you guessed it) get my taxes done. Ugh. Hopefully, the adorable (we think) tranny who's been out there dressed as Uncle Sam will be hanging out waving to cars today.

*In an (I think) interesting side note, perhaps you noticed that both Baltimore and Manhattan's radical bookstores have colors in the names of them. I find this particularly interesting, because I happen to have a little color/name theme in my life--I did my undergrad at the Evergreen State College, worked at Yellowstone for several years, lived in Red Lodge, Montana for one year and while there, worked at the Blue Ribbon Bar. In more random colortalk, Rouge has a thing called color synesthesia. In her mind, letters and numbers each have their own color. I wish I could read her blog in color.

No comments: