Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Where is My Mind?

It occurs to me that in my haste to lay shame upon the (RED) campaign, I forgot to mention that Mr. Man and I did, indeed, volunteer at the Charm City Kitty club's most recent production, Groundhog's Day, last weekend. And it was loverly. It may have been my excitement over getting out of the house, or it may have been all those cute queers, but it was AWESOME.

Volunteer activities included moving a bunch of chairs around, tidying the restrooms, making a list of drink prices for the second bar, and installing a giant vagina over the doorway into the theater. The show didn't sell out, so we got to enjoy it from the comfort of seats, which was great, since volunteers often have to stand. Though it would have been great if it'd sold out, of course, especially since the act were so wonderful.

Highlights included:

  • Electric Junkyard Gamelan. This band fucking rocked. And was also fucking adorable. Almost ridiculously so, though it didn't take anything away from their quirky musical stylings.
  • Gray. "Ex-soldier turned wordsmith," this local poet commands mad presence. I've got a little crush.
  • Eileen Myles. I don't know if this is her regular schtick, but she was totally old-school lezzied-up (think plaid flannel and longish gray hair) which is not generally my "type" but I do generally get hot and bothered by any kind of humorous intellectualism, and she had me laughing myself into a coughing fit. I think I might have peed a little, but I drank several glasses of Woop! Woop! Shiraz, so...

No offense to the other acts...but I just didn't like them "that way." The CCKC, on the other hand...I think I'm in love.

No comments: